This holiday season is going to be different for almost all of us—and it may be a difficult one for many seniors and their families. Over the last eight months, the Area Agency on Aging 1-B’s Information & Assistance team has been gathering information on resources to help older adults and family caregivers during the COVID-19 pandemic. (You can find these on our coronavirus updates page.) We have now turned our attention to the holidays and have pulled together a list of resources available for seniors during this very different Thanksgiving and holiday season.
We have divided it up into information specific to each of the six counties we serve: Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair and Washtenaw. Find your county to connect with resources in your community. Please call ahead to make sure you have the most current information and that the program will be able to accommodate you.
Remember that our Information & Assistance team is here to help as well. They’re available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (800)-852-7795. You can also download the full list of Holiday Assistance Programs in AAA 1-B Service Region.
- VETLIFE: 2300 East Grand River, Howell.
Free Thanksgiving baskets via drive-thru for Livingston County veterans. Registration required. November 22, 9 a.m. -2 p.m. https://www.vetlifetoday.org/harvestforheroes.
- Livingston County Catholic Charities:
Christmas Blessing Project provides a Christmas food box, hygiene items, cleaning & paper products to low-income and homebound seniors. Deliveries will be made on December 10 & 11. Please register by December 1 by calling Katie at 517-545-5944.
- Salvation Army: 3600 E. Grand River Ave, Howell. Christmas sign up events: November 17 from 10 a.m. -2 p.m. and 5 -8 p.m.
- Saint Thomas Lutheran: 23801 Kelly Road, Eastpointe. 586-772-3370.
November 21, from 11 a.m. -noon; and December 19 from 11 a.m.- noon. Food pantry will be open for Holiday baskets that will be distributed via bags at the back door.
- ACCESS Sterling Heights: 4301 E. 14 mile Road, Sterling Heights.
November 18 from 1 p.m. -5 p.m. Free turkeys.
- Knights of Columbus: 22040 Ryan, Warren. 586-431-4884.
November 26, from 11 a.m. -1:30 p.m. 250 meals for curbside pickup.
- Macomb Feeding the Need: 27151 Gratiot Avenue, Roseville. 586-945-7090.
Carryout meals available on November 27 at noon.
- Salvation Army: Applications must be filed by appointment at a corps community center according to the recipient’s zip code. Christmas assistance: Provides a grocery gift card for seniors. https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/usc/location-search/
- Application sites:
- Mt. Clemens- 586-469-6712;
- Warren- 586-754-7400.
- Forgotten Harvest:
Turkeys will be distributed through their regular pantry rotation. Visit https://www.forgottenharvest.org/COVID19/ or https://www.forgottenharvest.org/find-food to find pantries.
- Monroe Firefighter’s: Oak of Righteousness Village: 1018 E 2nd Street, Monroe.
November 25 at 4,5,6,and 7 p.m.. Hot meals provided through drive-thru and walk up.
- Bedford Goodfellows Club: 734-847-3641.
Distributes holiday baskets to Bedford residents in need. https://www.bedfordgoodfellows.org
- Crossroads Community Church: 6960 Sylvania-Petersburg, Ottowa Lake. 734-854-1301.
Free holiday meal provided via drive-thru, including turkey or chicken and sides. November 21, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- The Neighborhood House: 44 Mill, Rochester. 248-651-5836.
Provides turkey dinners for Thanksgiving.
- Zelphia’s Community Kitchen/Meadowbrook Church: 21355 Meadowbrook, Novi.
November 21, 12-1 p.m. Thanksgiving boxes. 1 box per car/family.
- Lighthouse: 46156 Woodward Avenue, Pontiac. 248-920-6000.
The Thanksgiving boxes program is closed, but individuals can shop the food pantry or sign up for food delivery at www.mycovidresponse.org.
- Oxford/Orion FISH Food Pantry: 1060 S. Lapeer, Oxford. 248-628-3933.
- Salvation Army:
Applications must be filed by appointment at a corps community center according to the recipient’s zip code. Christmas assistance: Provides a grocery gift card for seniors: https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/usc/location-search/
- Application sites:
- Farmington Hills- 248-477-1153
- Pontiac- 248-334-2407
- Royal Oak- 248-585-5600.
- Lake Orion Lions Club: 248-975-6378.
Christmas baskets for Lake Orion residents in need.
- Hazel Park Schools: 248-544-5347.
May be able to serve Hazel Park seniors in need of assistance for Christmas.
- Open Door Outreach Center: 248-360-2930.
Provides Thanksgiving and Christmas assistance with meals to seniors and adults with disabilities.
- Forgotten Harvest:
Turkeys will be distributed through their regular pantry rotation. People can visit https://www.forgottenharvest.org/COVID19/ or https://www.forgottenharvest.org/find-food to find pantries.
St. Clair County
- Lakeport Wesleyan Church: 3871 Harris Road, Lakeport. 810-327-6211.
November 26, from 1-3 p.m.. Drive-thru Thanksgiving dinner. Can only supply enough meals for the number of occupants in the car.
- The Salvation Army: 200 Court Street, Port Huron. Thanksgiving line: 810-984-2679, ext 31.
Thanksgiving dinner provided via take-out from noon -2 p.m. on November 26. Please call to pre-order meals.
- Washington Life Center: 810-765-3523
Elfed Program offers a socially distanced visit from Christmas carolers and small holiday goodies delivered to seniors for a fee
ranging from $5-$15. Call 810-765-3523 to register by December 1. Serves Algonac, Marine City, St. Clair, Casco, Clay, China, Columbus, Cottrellville, East China, Ira and St. Clair Townships.
- Faith in Action: 603 S. Main, Chelsea. 734-475-3305.
Serves residents in the Chelsea & Dexter school district. Provides a full holiday meal to those in need.
- Saline Social Services: 224 W. Michigan Avenue, Saline. 734-429-4570.
Serves residents of the Saline School District. Distributing Thanksgiving Meal baskets on November 22 and December 20.
- Ann Arbor Community Center: 625 N Main Street, Ann Arbor. 734-662-3128.
Provides meals for the holiday. Currently keeping a waitlist.
- Food Gatherers Community Kitchen: 312 W. Huron, Ann Arbor. 734-761-2796.
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day dinners.
- Washtenaw County Corps: 100 Arbana Dr, Ann Arbor. 734-668-8353.
Holiday assistance for seniors.