The Heat And Warmth Fund (THAW)

Phone: (800)866-8429



Utility Assistance

  • The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) administers several programs year-round which assist with the payment of electric, gas, oil or other fuel bills. THAW may also have funds available to assist with water bills. THAW can assist with MDHHS State Emergency Relief co-payments.
  • Must have received a shut-off notice or have a bill that is more than two months in arrears. Must have an annual income of $20,800 or less for one person or $28,000 or less for two persons. For hardship cases, the annual income limit is $11,440 or less for one person or $15,400 or less for two people. Bill must be in the name of the person applying for assistance and the applicant must live at the address. Applicants must also apply for home heating credit (if eligible) and have a decision notice from the Department of Human Services. Must have made a minimum payment of $200 on the bill in the past six months. Customers may receive THAW help only once in the same season for each utility.